Sergio Perez will start the United States Grand Prix from the pits after the stewards ruled he failed to stop at the weigh bridge when instructed to during second practice.
His race engineer pointed out his error, and told him to return to the team’s garage but not to pull into the pit bay. However Perez did so, and the crew replaced his tyres. After this he was pushed back to the weighbridge.
The stewards ruled Perez “failed to stop for weighing when required to do so. Instead, he drove on and proceeded to do a pit stop where the car was worked on by lifting the car and all four wheels were changed, in breach of Article 29.1 (a).
“The penalty imposed is a mandatory penalty specified under the Formula 1 Sporting Regulations and the stewards note that they have no discretion to impose an alternative penalty.”
Perez’s radio messages when he missed the weighbridge
|To Perez:||Perez passes the weighbridge|
Checo weighbridge, weighbridge.
|Perez:||I didn’t see it, what I do?|
|Perez:||What do I do?|
|To Perez:||Come to the garage, come to the garage but stop outside.|
|To Perez:||Perez pulls into the pit box where his tyres are changed|
Pass the pit stop, pass pit box.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’