Williams has confirmed Nicholas Latifi will make his debut for the team as a race driver next year.George Russell.
Latifi has won four races in Formula 2 this year. He lies second in the championship with this weekend’s round in Abu Dhabi remaining. The title has already been won by Nyck de Vries.
“All of us at Williams have been immensely impressed at what he has achieved this year in Formula 2 along with his commitment to the team and the work that he has put in behind the scenes,” said Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams.
“Nicholas has become an established and well-respected member of Williams, and we look forward to him stepping up into this new role, as we look to fight our way back to the midfield.”
“I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the team this year, supporting them with the development of the car, and assisting wherever I can trackside and at the factory,” said Latifi. “I look forward to the journey ahead with the team, and I am excited to make my Formula One debut at the Australian Grand Prix in 2020.”
Williams’ announcement means all 20 seats on the F1 grid for 2020 have now been filled. Latifi will be the only newcomer to the championship next year.
View the current list of 2020 F1 drivers and teams
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers