Charles Leclerc says he would enjoy the chance to go up against Lewis Hamilton if the world champion decidesd to join Ferrari.Sebastian Vettel, whose contract also expires next year, but also said he was “happy” to hear Hamilton was potentially available in 2021.
Asked whether he would welcome Hamilton as a team mate Leclerc said: “Of course.
“At the end, we are in Formula 1 and we want to fight against the best. I’ve had a big opportunity this year to have Seb next to me who is a four time world champion and I’ve learned a lot from him.
“You can always learn from this type of champion so yes, of course.”
Hamilton’s future depends on the commitments of Mercedes, who have not extended their deal to continue in the championship after 2020, and team principal Toto Wolff.
“I know Toto is also looking at his options in terms of his future and only he will know what is the best thing for him and his family,” said Hamilton. “So I’m waiting to see what he’s doing with that.
“I love where I am so it’s definitely not a quick decision to do something else. But of course I think it’s only smart and wise for me to sit and think of what I want, if it is the last period or stage in my career.
“Actually, I want to keep winning. I want to keep being able to fight with these guys as well. I can’t really tell you what else is going to happen moving forwards.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’