However the FIA International Sporting Code permits ASNs to issue licenses to foreigners. Representatives of the drivers’ teams confirmed to RaceFans that the Automobile Competition Committee for the United States have issued licenses for Stroll and Latifi to compete in the 2020 F1 season.
Any recognition of the drivers’ nationalities during race weekends, for instance during podium ceremonies, will remain unchanged, as the code states: “All Drivers, irrespective of the nationality of their licence, participating in any FIA world championship competition, shall retain the nationality of their passport in all official documents, publications and prize-giving
RaceFans understands arrangements are being made by the FIA to appoint a substitute Canadian national sporting authority by the end of March – too late for licence issuance for 2020. This development is not expected to affect the running of June’s Canadian Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers