Moto GP has officially announced the cancellation of its race at the Mugello circuit, which has been tipped as a surprise addition to the F1 calendar.
The development removes a potential obstacle to Formula 1 organising a race at the circuit in September. As RaceFans revealed on Monday, the championship has approached Ferrari about the possibility of holding a race at its track, which it has never previously raced at.
A race at Mugello in September would follow the Italian Grand Prix at Monza and allow Ferrari to mark their 1,000th appearance in a world championship race on home ground.
Mugello CEO Paolo Poli said the Moto GP race had been called off partly because it would not be possible to accommodate fans at the track. Formula 1 last week confirmed it will begin its season in July with a series of races in Europe, most if not all of which are expected to take place behind closed doors.
“Despite the communal effort made to find a practical solution, the impossibility of staging an event that is open to spectators, as well as the difficulties that have arisen from this exceptional situation, have not allowed us to find a new date for the Italian Grand Prix,” said Poli.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers