“I don’t normally like getting up early but this morning there was a great reason to do so,” said Leclerc. “Maybe it woke a few people up, but it was great to drive through the streets of Maranello in the SF1000.
His route took him along the Via Enzo Ferrari and Via Gilles Villeneuve to the circuit, a distance of just over one kilometre.
“It was exciting to get back in the car today, particularly on such a special route. Being back in the cockpit felt like coming home again. It seemed like a fun way of saying we are ready to get back on track. Now I can’t wait to drive the SF1000 in Austria.”
The Formula 1 season is due to begin at the Red Bull Ring on the first weekend in July. Some of Ferrari’s rivals, including Mercedes, Renault and Racing Point, have run events with F1 cars to gain experience of performing race weekend procedures while observing restrictions due to the pandemic.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers