George Russell says he is unlikely to drive for any team other than Williams next year – unless he is called up by Mercedes.Valtteri Bottas at the end of 2016.
“I have a contract with Williams next year,” said Russell. “I am a Mercedes junior driver. So I don’t think Claire would allow me to go anywhere else, potentially other than Mercedes.
“Even then, who knows? Like I say, that’s not in my hands, that’s in her hands and for the powers above me to deal with and see what happens there. I’m just focussed on my job and that’s all I can do.”
Russell said he was pleased to see Fernando Alonso will return to Formula 1 next year with Renault, alongside former Mercedes junior driver Esteban Ocon.
“I was quite pleased about it because Formula 1 is about having the best of the best drivers,” said Russell. “Fernando is absolutely one of the best.
“There’s arguments that people feel like he is depriving younger drivers of an opportunity. But I think as things currently stand it makes complete sense for Renault and for Fernando. I think he’ll come back and do a great job.”
View the current list of 2021 F1 drivers and teams
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers