Norris was told “yellow flags at turn five” as he approached turn four. Accelerating out of the corner he passed Sergio Perez’s Racing Point and Gasly, the latter occuring while yellow flags were visible. He was told “yellow flags here” on the radio at the time.
If he is found to have overtaken in a yellow flag zone, Norris can expect to receive a grid penalty for Sunday’s race. The last such incident occured when Perez was found to have overtaken another car under yellow flags during qualifying for the Singapore Grand Prix in 2016. He was given a three-place grid penalty.
Norris, who finished third in last week’s Austrian Grand Prix at the circuit, ended practice 14th in his McLaren.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers