Sergio Perez will return to the cockpit this weekend after Racing Point confirmed he has tested negative for Covid-19.
“The FIA have confirmed that Checo can return to the F1 paddock and he will compete for the team in this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix.”
Perez said he was “very lucky that I’ve only had mild symptoms” of Covid-19. “I’ve been able to keep training and make sure that I’m ready to jump back behind the wheel of the car.
“I’m very glad I had my tablet to keep me entertained too, though. I’ve definitely missed racing and it was hard to watch from the outside. I can’t wait to get on track, hopefully this weekend.”
Nico Hulkenberg substituted for Perez during his two-race absence. He failed to start the British Grand Prix due to a power unit failure, but impressed by qualifying third last weekend and finishing seventh.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton