Formula 2 driver Sean Gelael has been ruled out of the rest of the weekend after sustaining a back injury in a crash during Saturday’s feature race.
The Medical Car was sent to the scene. Gelael was extricated from the car and taken to the nearby Hospital General De Granollers by ambulance.
Gelael underwent an MRI scan at the hospital where “a small fracture of a vertebra was identified”, according to F2. “He was released from the hospital last night and is expected to make a full recovery, however as a precaution, has been declared unfit to race today by the FIA Medical Delegate.”
“I’m all okay,” Gelael posted on social media. “I have a D4 mid-spine fracture. We will wait and see what the future will bring.”
The starting grid for Sunday’s sprint race has therefore been reduced to 21 cars, with Gelael’s team mate Dan Ticktum the sole remaining DAMS driver.
Updated 9:04am 16th August 2020
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
- FIA replaces masculine language with gender-neutral terms in F2 and F3 rulebooks
- Hitech sign Aron and Cordeel for 2024 F2 season
- Marti steps up to Formula 2 as Campos and Rodin Carlin confirm 2024 line-ups
- Doohan wins finale as battling Vesti can’t keep Pourchaire from the title
- Vesti takes title fight with Pourchaire down to the wire with crucial sprint race win