Alexander Albon says he is satisfied with securing ninth on the grid for the Italian Grand Prix, admitting his Red Bull isn’t suited to the Monza circuit.Max Verstappen.
“We were just struggling with getting some areas of the track hooked up like some of the other guys,” says Albon.
“In the end, personally speaking, I’m quite happy with it. It was a bit of a smoother weekend for me. But, of course, ninth doesn’t really show that.”
Albon says the low downforce characteristics of the Monza circuit suits their rivals better than it does his Red Bull.
“Chasing the low downforce, I think we’re a little bit more affected than the others,” he said.
“The Racing Points, the McLarens and the Renaults – they seem to be good on that low downforce kind of set-up. They were like that in Spa. They’ve been like that generally throughout the year compared to us. So it does suit them a little bit.
“I just feel like this track doesn’t really suit us more than anything in the corners. We’re not too bad, but there are a few corners where we lose a chunk compared to cars around us. And then we gain a little bit around the rest of the lap.”
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton