Sergio Perez, Racing Point, Mugello, 2020

Ricciardo suspected Racing Point would drop Perez for Vettel

2020 Tuscan Grand Prix Ferrari 1000

Posted on

| Written by and

Daniel Ricciardo says he suspected Racing Point were preparing to replace Sergio Perez with Sebastian Vettel following the previous race at Monza.

Perez was told by Racing Point owner Lawrence Stroll yesterday his contract would be cut short at the end of this year. The team subsequent announced Vettel will take his place for the 2021 F1 season.

Ricciardo said he hopes Perez is able to find a drive for next year in the time remaining before the end of the season.

“He certainly worthy of a seat, to say the least,” said Riccairdo. “As a competitor I rate him. As a person I get on with him.

“I saw him Sunday after the race and I had a bit of an idea that this was going to be announced soon.

“It’s obviously fairly late – it’s not crazy late, he’s still got time, it’s September. Obviously there’s fewer seats available.

“I hope for him he finds a seat. He’s still young, he’s a year younger than me! I wish him well and hope to see him on the grid in ’21.”

Ricciardo’s fellow Renault driver Esteban Ocon, who was Perez’s team mate in 2017 and 2018, also hopes their rival can find a seat for next year.

“For sure it’s a difficult situation at the moment for Checo. I don’t know how it is on the inside but from what I know and when I raced with him he’s a guy that deserves to have a seat in Formula 1.

“He’s been always there, consistently, scoring, helping the team back in my days and even before then. He’s a guy that showed strength and capabilities and also speed. So he deserves a seat and I hope he will remain in F1.”

Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

2020 Tuscan Grand Prix Ferrari 1000

Browse all 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix Ferrari 1000 articles

Author information

Dieter Rencken
Dieter Rencken has held full FIA Formula 1 media accreditation since 2000, during which period he has reported from over 300 grands prix, plus...
Keith Collantine
Lifelong motor sport fan Keith set up RaceFans in 2005 - when it was originally called F1 Fanatic. Having previously worked as a motoring...

Got a potential story, tip or enquiry? Find out more about RaceFans and contact us here.

10 comments on “Ricciardo suspected Racing Point would drop Perez for Vettel”

  1. Ricciardo suspected. All of the media suspected, most fans suspected. The teams all pretty much expected this. Vettel knew they were waiting for his yes/no decision.

    Seems only Perez himself was caught by surprise. Despite his team having been in negotiations for the last months to get a good severence package out of it, and no doubt lining up the alternatives with Haas and Alfa Romeo (and maybe others? Or alternative series?) to pick from.

  2. It’s a rough business, it’s a case of you scr**ing them before they scr*w you.

  3. Not even a year. Less than seven months, but yes, younger anyway.

  4. checo to Haas or alfa romeo .
    he is better than all four current drivers .

    1. Better than Kimi? Not sure about this

      1. Checo can have Kimi’s current seat because (drumroll) …

        … Kimi is off to Milton Keynes to tame that 2nd Bucking Bull!

        That’s right, you heard it here first. Marko has done an extensive analysis of all available drivers and only Kimi is capable of mastering the same pointy car that Max likes.

        You can forget Albon, you can forget Gasly, you’ve already forgotten what’s-his-name. In 2021, 33 + 7 = 42.

        1. Isn’t 33 + 7 = 40 ?

          1. So, you’ve come up with a different Answer. I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe.

          2. Haha good one

        2. You’re joking of coarse:)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All comments are moderated. See the Comment Policy and FAQ for more.
If the person you're replying to is a registered user you can notify them of your reply using '@username'.