Kart racer Luca Corberi has apologised for his actions during yesterday’s FIA karting world championship event, describing his behaviour as “disgraceful”.Felipe Massa, who shared an image from another video which appeared to show Corberi attacking Ippolito in the paddock after the race, said the incident would have “consequences”.
Corberi issued a statement on Monday. “I’d like to apologise to the motorsport community for what I’ve done,” he posted on a social media profile.
“There are no excuses to explain why I’ve done such a disgraceful act. This has been something I’ve never done in my 15 years of career, and I really hope it won’t be seen by anybody else in the future.”
The 23-year-old said he’d offered his licence to the stewards following the event.
“After the race, once I’ve been called by the sporting judges, I asked them to take my licence away because I was fully conscious about my irreparable mistakes,” he said. “But as they showed me, they don’t have the power for doing it, it’s written in the international rules. So please don’t be against them, they were just doing their work in the best way they could.
“For this reason I’ve decided to don’t take part to any other motorsport competition for the rest of my life, that’s not a self justice, it’s simply the right thing to do.”
Corberi’s track record includes victory in the CIK-FIA KF3 World Cup in 2012. He finished fifth in the championship for the same category that year, which was won by George Russell.
Last weekend race was Corberi’s first appearance in the KZ Final for three years, at the track operated by his parents.
“My family has been in karting since 1985, we’ve seen it grow, we’ve seen the best and the worst part of it,” he continued. “This episode will be remembered as one of the worst in our sport and that’s something I’ll never forget.
“I’m not asking any indulgence, because I don’t deserve it. I will totally agree with the punishments required.
“I’m writing today to say sorry even if it’s not enough, because after all the bad things that happened during this event, the worst ever has been done by me, a guy who love this sport and after the worst day of his life will still remember his good racing memories.”
The FIA announced today it is investigating the actions of Corberi and others in the incident at Lonato.
Update: The statement quoted above briefly disappeared from Corberi’s Facebook page, where it had been posted, and was later reinstated.
Image: Tony Kart via Instagram
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
- Hauger dominates race three to take win and championship lead
- Two crashes between leaders hand Caldwell his first F3 victory
- Da Costa denies Frijns on final lap to win thrilling Monaco EPrix
- Smolyar passes Edgar to win Formula 3 season-opener
- Slower laps, better racing? How Formula E will compare to F1 as it tackles ‘full Monaco’