The sporting council of the Automobile Club d’Italia – Italy’s national automobile club – has recommended immediate action against kart racer Luca Corberi, his father and the Lonato circuit following the behaviour of the pair at last weekend’s FIA karting world championship.
Following a meeting today the ACI issued a statement confirming their “harsh and firm condemnation” of the events, video footage of which was widely shared on social media. The ACI said it intends to propose “the maximum sanction provided for by the regulations” including “the immediate suspension of the licenses of Luca Corberi, Marco Corberi and that of the circuit”. The Corberi family operates the Lonato circuit.
The ACI executive added it “reserves the right to take further initiatives” in relation to what it previously described as a “very serious episode”.
On Monday the 23-year-old racer issued a public statement apologising for his behaviour. BCrberi said he offered his licence to the stewards of the event, though they did not have the authority to take it away from him, and that he intends not to return to motor racing.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
- Record-breaking speeds and wide-open field for 2022 edition of IndyCar’s biggest race
- Dixon grabs pole position for Indy 500 with record-breaking run
- Drugovich takes Formula 2 feature race win with skilful tyre management
- Martins reclaims Formula 3 championship lead with Barcelona feature race win
- VeeKay leads rain-shortened first day of Indy 500 qualifying as speeds soar