Nico Hulkenberg has been recalled to make his third appearance in an F1 round this year for Racing Point.Sergio Perez when he tested positive for Covid-19 ahead of the two rounds at Silverstone earlier this year.
“Lance didn’t feel 100% this morning and the team took the decision not to run him for the rest of the event,” said Racing Point in a statement.
As final practice has already been completed Hulkenberg will not have an opportunity to drive the car before the qualifying session begins at 3pm local time, less than an hour from now. The veteran of 178 grands prix arrived at the Nurburgring during this morning’s hour of running.
Hulkenberg is currently 15th in the championship standings with six points, which he scored in the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix. He failed to start in his other appearance this year, at the British Grand Prix, due to a power unit problem.
The FIA stewards have formally approved Racing Point’s request to change drivers for this weekend, which will involved Hulkenberg taking over the power unit components allocated to Stroll. Hulkenberg and Perez are therefore reunited as team mates for the first time since 2016 when they drove for the same team, when it was called Force India.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Pictures: Wrecked chassis from Grosjean’s Bahrain fireball crash to go on display
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers