Mercedes junior driver George Russell’s future at Williams is for the team to decide, says Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff.2021 F1 season but the team has been sold to new owner Dorilton Capital since then.
Following speculation Sergio Perez could be hired to replace Russell, the team’s acting principal Simon Roberts declined to confirm whether Russell or team mate Nicholas Latifi will be retained for 2021.
Wolff said Russell is a star of the future, but said “it’s Williams’s decision” whether to keep him within their team.
“We all know about George’s capabilities,” said Wolff. “He is a star of the future who remains unbeaten by his team mates in Formula 1.
“Sometimes he is able to show highlights in a car that is not competitive at the moment. And I think he’s a great team asset.
“But there’s obviously a financial reality that I cannot judge at all and it’s absolutely the judgement of the new owners and Simon to decide what they want to do going forward.”
Wolff confirmed he has been in contact with Williams about Russell’s position in the team. “We’ve touched base about George but at the end, like I said, it’s their call.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 Portuguese Grand Prix
- Norris apologises following Stroll and Hamilton comments
- McLaren keen to see if Ferrari’s “very impressive” pace was a one-off
- Norris: ‘Hamilton’s car should win every race, he only has to beat two drivers’
- Racing Point expect better performance from Stroll at Imola after troubled return
- Mercedes set to win constructors’ title at Imola, Hamilton’s coronation will have to wait