Stoffel Vandoorne admits it “hurts” to have missed out on an opportunity to return to Formula 1 in place of Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes.George Russell from Williams to replace Hamilton, who has tested positive for Covid-19.
“I want [to] wish Lewis Hamilton a speedy recovery and hopefully he’ll be back in the car [as soon as possible],” wrote Vandoorne on social media. “Nobody can really replace him.”
“Obviously, I’m disappointed not to get the chance to drive for Mercedes this weekend. After having spent the year travelling to all F1 races and dedicating so much time, physical training, commitment to this programme… it hurts!”
Vandoorne, who races for Mercedes in Formula E, said he supported the team’s decision to give Russell an opportunity.
“I respect the choice of putting George Russell in the car. He has been one of the standout drivers and he fully deserves this opportunity.”
“It’s moments like these that make my drive even bigger and I can assure you I’m going to continue giving 100%,” he added.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 Sakhir Grand Prix
- Leclerc will choose his fights better to avoid more “silly” first-lap crashes
- 2020 Bahrain and Sakhir Grand Prix Star Performers
- Sakhir performance risked making me look a fool, admits Bottas
- Perez makes his case for 2021 chance with masterful recovery drive for first win
- Perez breaks Webber’s record with 190-race wait for first win