Lewis Hamilton says he wants to agree a new deal to drive for Mercedes next year within the next 11 days.2021 F1 season yet, said he wants to agree terms with his team before Christmas.
Asked when he intends to announce a new contract, Hamilton said: “Hopefully over the next couple of weeks. I would love – we would love – to get it done before Christmas, I think.”
While he has previously indicated his next deal may be for less than three years, Hamilton confirmed he intends to race for at least one more season.
“I plan to be here next year,” he said. “I want to be here next year. I think us, as a team, have more to do together and more to achieve both in the sport but even more outside the sport I think.
“So I hope we can begin, this week, discussions, and hopefully get it tied up before Christmas.”
Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff is confident a new deal is “going to happen” between the two after their talks were delayed when Hamilton caught Covid-19.
“There’s no reason it shouldn’t happen,” he said yesterday. “We will have this conversation.
“We were delayed, we always said that we will do it after the title was won and then and the virus delayed us for another 10 days, two weeks. And now we just have to sit down, maybe virtually maybe life.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Title ‘stolen’ from Mercedes made us ‘underdogs people cheer for’ – Wolff
- Red Bull Racing spent £230m during Verstappen’s title-winning 2021 campaign
- ‘I can’t box?’: Hamilton and Verstappen’s 2021 Abu Dhabi GP radio transcript
- Abu Dhabi’s legacy one year on: How the controversial 2021 finale changed F1
- The case for changing F1’s penalty points system as Gasly nears ban