Five days after his final race for McLaren, Ferrari’s newest driver Carlos Sainz Jnr spent his first day with his new team on Friday.
“My first time in red is, as you guys can imagine, pretty special,” said Sainz. “It’s a special day for me in general and it’s probably a day I will never forget.”
Sainz returned briefly to the UK after last week’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix before heading to Italy to begin work with Ferrari. “From my side, I’m fully ready, fully motivated,” he said. “Here today, already after leaving the UK yesterday, totally new, totally refreshed for this new challenge.”
He was unable to test for his new team at Yas Marina on Tuesday due to restrictions barring drivers who competed last season. Sainz said he is now looking forward to “some Christmas, some holidays to disconnect and making sure we recharge the batteries as quick as possible” before getting to work at Maranello.
“You can be sure I’m going to be here pretty early in January to keep pushing, to keep helping this team to move forward as quick as possible in the best direction,” said Sainz. “And I cannot wait, to be honest.”
His first day with the team included a factory tour, meetings and a seat fit for the 2018 car Sainz will test to prepare for 2021. “It’s something that I will never forget and I cannot wait to do more of the same next year,” said Sainz. “Also thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Will Formula 1’s new cars for 2022 prove a change for the better?
- Red Bull claim damage to Verstappen’s car from Hamilton crash cost £1.3 million
- Norris: McLaren a “lot more lively” than when I first joined
- “We can’t go back to a Flintstone engine”: The clash of visions over future F1 power units
- Sprint qualifying “a bit strange” and has room for improvement – Binotto