Yuki Tsunoda says he has never experienced anything like the levels of grip offered by F1’s softer tyre compound after recording the second-fastest time of testing.Max Verstappen at the chequered flag.
Tsunoda said he enjoyed a ‘comfortable’ day’s running and was very satisfied with how the test had transpired despite some minor problems over his three days in the AT02.
“Today was a really, really good day,” said Tsunoda after testing concluded today. “Good progress, no issues. I could just focus on my driving. That’s what I wanted so that was really good.
“These last two days we had a little bit of bad luck, but today we put it all together and I think the mechanics and Honda did a really, really good job and there were no issues. It was really comfortable to drive all [the] session and achieve 91 laps. So it’s been a really, really good test.”
As darkness descended over the Sakhir circuit, Tsunoda traded fastest laps with Verstappen, making multiple runs on the softest tyres.
“I definitely enjoyed the C5, the softest tyre,” says Tsunoda. “Big grip – I’ve never experienced grip like it. Even when I was testing at Imola or Misano, there was much less grip. I enjoyed it.
“Today was a really enjoyable day also for the learning, for my driving and also the tyres especially. I did a full race simulation and also for the tyre management side. So I had a good step forward and got good data for the Bahrain Grand Prix.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Like Ferrari, Red Bull have found they need more than a quick car to beat Mercedes
- Tsunoda concerned Sprint Qualifying will take practice time away from rookies
- Rivals’ “much better top speed” made it hard to gain ground in Spain – Sainz
- Baku gets new F1 deal but will not swap 2021 race date with Turkey
- Why “solid and strong” Formula 1 isn’t fearing the day its biggest star walks away