Lance Stroll has lost his seventh-place finish in the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix after being penalised for overtaking a rival off the track.Pierre Gasly by leaving the circuit at Tamburello on lap 11. He was given a five-second time penalty.
As Gasly finished less than a second behind him, Stroll therefore falls to eighth place behind his rival in the final classification. The incident was not investigated until after the race.
“Having reviewed the video and heard from the drivers, the stewards conclude that car 18 [Stroll] was not able to complete his pass on car 10 [Gasly] at turns two and three without leaving the track completely short-cutting turn three and returning on the track ahead of car 10. He then failed to give the position back.
“In hearing from the drivers the Stewards accepted that car 18 was ahead of car 10 at the point he left the track, but that he was in that position because of a manoeuvre that he was not able to complete on the track given the wet conditions.”
The stewards also handed Stroll a penalty point on his licence, putting him on a total of four.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Title ‘stolen’ from Mercedes made us ‘underdogs people cheer for’ – Wolff
- Red Bull Racing spent £230m during Verstappen’s title-winning 2021 campaign
- ‘I can’t box?’: Hamilton and Verstappen’s 2021 Abu Dhabi GP radio transcript
- Abu Dhabi’s legacy one year on: How the controversial 2021 finale changed F1
- The case for changing F1’s penalty points system as Gasly nears ban