Bottas revealed the apology was posted after Russell unsuccessfully tried to call him earlier that day. “I heard about his post and apology and I read it,” said Bottas.
“To be honest we haven’t spoken after the race, after the stewards. I did have a missed call on Monday morning, but I was still sleeping. But we haven’t spoken.
“But I’m sure it’s the same for George. It’s done and dusted, it’s history. There was no decision by the steward. George apologised and time to move on.”
The Mercedes driver said he has no after-effect from the crash, which occured at the fastest point on the track at Imola. “I’m feeling fine, feeling good, feeling ready for the weekend,” he said.
“It’s never fun when we’re in that situation but it obviously could have been a lot worse and I’m happy that there was no injuries. I was actually, the Wednesday after, back on track in Imola for the 2022 Pirelli test and I feel fine.”
Bottas said he’d spoken to Mercedes CEO Toto Wolff following the collision. “We had a chat after just to go through the situation, which is normal,” he said. “But apart from that, we agreed [to] take the positives and learn from the negatives and move on.
“Kind of one to forget really. One positive for sure is that it was only race two of the season and there’s 21 to go.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Aston Martin fined $450,000 for F1 budget cap violation
- Red Bull fined $7 million and lose development time for 2021 budget cap breach
- Hamilton: F1 ‘might as well not have a cost cap if the penalty is a slap on the wrist’
- Red Bull need penalty that “really hurts them” if they exceeded budget cap – Bottas
- F1 mustn’t let post-season budget cap rows become a regular occurrence