Robert Kubica will return to the cockpit of the Alfa Romeo in first practice for this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix.Circuit de Catalunya on the Tuesday and Wednesday after the race. This will be Alfa Romeo’s first opportunity to test the 18-inch tyres Pirelli are developing for the 2022 F1 season.
Kubica, who previously drove the team’s C41 in a filming day before the season began, will take over Kimi Raikkonen’s car for Friday’s first practice session.
“Having last driven the C41 in Barcelona in February, I am looking forward to seeing how much the car has progressed since, both in terms of upgrades and in the team’s understanding of the package,” said Kubica.
One other team has also confirmed it will run a test driver in practice this weekend. Roy Nissany, who made his first of three practice appearances for Williams at the same track last year, will drive the team’s car this weekend. Nissany also drove the FW43B during pre-season testing, and will take over George Russell’s car on Friday.
“I’m very keen to get back in the car,” said Nissany. “Barcelona was my first FP1 session last year and we have made a lot of progress since then, so I’m looking forward to demonstrating that on track. It feels great to experience the steps of development each time I jump in the car.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Title ‘stolen’ from Mercedes made us ‘underdogs people cheer for’ – Wolff
- Red Bull Racing spent £230m during Verstappen’s title-winning 2021 campaign
- ‘I can’t box?’: Hamilton and Verstappen’s 2021 Abu Dhabi GP radio transcript
- Abu Dhabi’s legacy one year on: How the controversial 2021 finale changed F1
- The case for changing F1’s penalty points system as Gasly nears ban