Lando Norris says McLaren’s special livery for next week’s Monaco Grand Prix looks even better than the team’s usual design.
He said the team’s one-off livery “will be the best-looking car on the grid by a very long way” and told McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown he prefers it to their usual look.
“I said to Zak it looks even better than our current livery but he didn’t sound so convinced by that,” said Norris.
“But I think it’s awesome, I think it’s a cool opportunity for for both of us and especially at Monaco I think it brings it all together and it’s pretty unique.”
Norris said he hasn’t yet seen the final version of the special helmet design he will use this weekend. “I actually hope it arrives in time because quite often they don’t.”
The helmet will have “a Gulf livery, my design but Gulf colours and a bit retro old-school, a bit of a throwback – I think it will look pretty cool.”
Daniel Ricciardo will also sport a special helmet design in Monaco. “I am going to go retro,” he explained. “Still with McLaren history, not necessarily like a Gulf livery.”
He was no less enthusiastic about the team’s new look for the race, which he won in 2018. “Of course I love it,” he said. “It’s cool. I didn’t need another reason to get excited for Monaco, so I got to control myself.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Masi says he received “death threats” over months after Abu Dhabi controversy
- Masi did make mistake with title-deciding Abu Dhabi GP restart, Horner admits
- Williams fined for late submission of budget cap documents
- The omission in the FIA’s Abu Dhabi report which may store up trouble for the future
- New insights but notable omissions in Drive to Survive’s account of F1’s 2021 finale