Theo Pourchaire has taken pole position for the Monaco Formula 2 feature race but Alessio Deledda has failed to qualify for this weekend’s event.
Despite Pourchaire’s superior pace, all of the drivers in group one lapped well within 107% of his lap time and will therefore be allowed to start.
But in group two Deledda fell short of meeting the 107% target by six tenths of a second. His participation in the rest of the weekend is therefore at the mercy of the stewards.
Drivers may be given dispensation to participate “in exceptional circumstances”, according to Formula 2’s regulations, “which may include setting a suitable lap time in a previous free practice session”> However Deledda’s qualifying time was one-and-a-half seconds faster than his best effort from practice.
Oscar Piastri and Dan Ticktum took the second row of the grid, followed by Juri Vips and Ralph Boschung. Championship leader Guanyu Zhou qualified 10th, and will therefore start race one from pole position.
Pourchaire has pole for the third race of the weekend, while the grid for race two will be based on the finishing positions of race one with the top 10 reversed.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
- Drugovich takes Formula 2 feature race win with skilful tyre management
- Cordeel one point away from Formula 2 race ban after latest penalty
- Drugovich dominates F2 Barcelona sprint race to take win and championship lead
- Doohan takes Barcelona pole in tactical F2 qualifying session
- Boschung withdraws from Barcelona Formula 2 round due to neck pain