While he is managed by Mercedes, the team’s CEO Toto Wolff recently said Alpine has first call on Ocon’s services. The team’s CEO Laurent Rossi said they have already begun discussions on extending their commitment.
“We were very grateful after Toto said that,” said Rossi in yesterday’s FIA press conference. “And it is indeed something we are considering.
Ocon has finished ahead of his new team mate, two-times world champion Fernando Alonso, in every race so far this year.
“Esteban is doing everything to make me consider keeping him in the team,” said Rossi. “I would be remiss if I didn’t think about it.
“At the moment, we are already engaged in some conversations with his agent, his management team, Mercedes at large. Esteban is a great driver so I’m happy to have that type of problem – which [it] is not actually.”
Rossi confirmed Ocon is their first choice for the seat, and denied the team is courting AlphaTauri’s Pierre Gasly. “We’re not looking at any drivers for next year,” he said. “At the moment I am considering Esteban.
“Fernando is here next year with us. If we want to carry on with the momentum we have we will do that. Pierre is obviously a great driver of value but at the moment this is not on the cards, I would say.”
2021 Monaco Grand Prix
- Perez sees Austrian double-header as valuable chance to master his RB16B
- No fun to be had in Monaco Grand Prix even if you’re winning, says Hamilton
- Mercedes explain Bottas’ Monaco pit stop failure
- F1 will consider adopting “intelligent” IndyCar rule in wake of Leclerc crash
- 2021 Monaco Grand Prix Star Performers