Sergio Perez has confirmed a member of his family’s security staff who was shot during an attempted robbery is in “good condition”.
Local media reported a member of the family’s security was injured during an incident in the Ladrón de Guevara neighbourhood in the municipality of his home town Guadalajara.
Perez confirmed police apprehended the suspects who tried to break into their car.
“They tried to rob the car of my security,” said Perez. “They heard that one of my security guards was last shot, but they basically tried to rob the car and nothing else going on, he is in good condition and the police got the robbers.”
Perez is understood to have been informed of the incident following today’s qualifying session. He took ninth on the grid for the Monaco Grand Prix.
This article will be updated.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Beating Hamilton to pole position “a tiny bit of a surprise” for Verstappen
- 2021 United States Grand Prix qualifying day in pictures
- Hamilton and Verstappen say they’ll keep it clean at start after practice run-in
- Perez says rain cost him time on final run after losing pole to Verstappen
- Verstappen sees off Hamilton and Perez for pole in Austin