Sergio Perez has confirmed a member of his family’s security staff who was shot during an attempted robbery is in “good condition”.
Local media reported a member of the family’s security was injured during an incident in the Ladrón de Guevara neighbourhood in the municipality of his home town Guadalajara.
Perez confirmed police apprehended the suspects who tried to break into their car.
“They tried to rob the car of my security,” said Perez. “They heard that one of my security guards was last shot, but they basically tried to rob the car and nothing else going on, he is in good condition and the police got the robbers.”
Perez is understood to have been informed of the incident following today’s qualifying session. He took ninth on the grid for the Monaco Grand Prix.
This article will be updated.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Mercedes “looks like a car that can win championships” now
- Red Bull pin hopes on high altitude tracks after “Hamilton stronghold” COTA
- Verstappen has no obvious weaknesses, it’s hard being his team mate – Perez
- F1 will have more sprint qualifying rounds in 2022 but can it fix its contradictions?
- F1 addressing concerns over COTA’s bumps and Losail’s pit lane entrance