Valtteri Bottas doubts the stewards will penalise him for his bizarre spin in the pit lane during second practice.
“I spun,” Bottas explained. “We tried something different getting out from the box and there was some variable to what we normally do with the wheelspin and that’s why I spun.”
Bottas was summoned to see the stewards shortly after the conclusion of the session. However he said he does not expect anything to come of it.
“I would be surprised if there is,” he said. “It’s a normal mistake, it happens. But I’m sure they just want to understand what happened, really.”
During the session McLaren complained to FIA race director Michael Masi about the incident. “Michael that’s absolutely ridiculous,” said team manager Paul James, “he could have taken our guys out there, and the pit wall.”
Speaking after the session McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl told Sky it was “obviously a scary moment, but in the end it can happen.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Styrian Grand Prix
- Mercedes has more than just aerodynamic upgrades coming for 2021 car
- Alonso: F1 rule to ‘improve the show’ helps the big teams
- Is stamping out ‘burn-out’ celebrations a killjoy over-reaction?
- Interview: Kubica on F1’s 2022 revolution, Ferrari’s power gains and his Le Mans debut
- 2021 Styrian Grand Prix Star Performers