Fernando Alonso has tipped Max Verstappen to win the championship this year, saying the Red Bull driver is out-performing rival Lewis Hamilton.
Two-times world champion Alonso, who is a distant 11th in the standings, said the title fight is “very interesting from the outside to follow and to watch”, and is pleased Hamilton is up against serious competition this year.
“At least we don’t have like previous years that it was Lewis against Lewis and sometimes Valtteri [Bottas], but not often,” he said.
“So at the moment we have a more interesting championship so we can follow with a little bit more adrenaline until Abu Dhabi. I think that’s a good thing.
“[My] favourite at the moment probably is Max, because he’s performing better. But things can change quickly depending on the performance of all the teams and the updates to the car, et cetera. So we will follow from a distance.”
Alonso, who partnered Hamilton at McLaren in 2007, said he would like the opportunity to drive alongside Verstappen in the same team one day as well.
“Probably we still have an opportunity in the future. Maybe not in Formula 1, honestly, because I don’t think that’s a possibility.
“But in the future, who knows? I think both of us love racing and endurance racing and Le Mans and many thinsg so it will be nice one day to share a team.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Austrian Grand Prix
- Vasseur on Alfa’s “huge step forward” and why he’s vexed by technical directives
- How Ricciardo “got some enjoyment back” after “really low” first race in Austria
- F1’s penalty points are not “harsh” and won’t be reviewed this year – Masi
- Austrian double showed Sainz found his feet faster than 2021’s other big-name moves
- 2021 Austrian Grand Prix Star Performers