Lewis Hamilton welcomed the support he received within Formula 1 in response to the racist abuse he received on social media after the British Grand Prix.spoke out against the racist abuse aimed at Hamilton on social media platforms following his collision with Max Verstappen at Silverstone.
The Mercedes driver has encountered abuse since he arrived in the sport in 2007. During pre-season testing in Spain ahead of his second season he was racially abused by spectators including a group in blackface.
Hamilton said while it was not the first time he had been abused, the reaction from those within the sport recently was vastly different to what he experienced earlier in his career.
“It’s nothing new for me, there’s not a huge amount more to add,” said Hamilton.
“I think what I would say is that I was it was amazing to see the support from the sport, from my team and from some of the drivers. I felt for the first time that I didn’t stand alone in the sport because for the other years – the other 27 or whatever years I’ve been racing – no one would ever say anything. When it happened in 2007, no one ever said anything.”
Rival teams including Red Bull and McLaren were among those who spoke out against the abuse Hamilton received.
“It was really amazing to see the steps that we’ve taken,” Hamilton said. “Of course, we condemn that and there’s no room for that sort of abuse.”
“But if I have to be on the receiving end of that in this industry, for people to become aware, then that’s part of my journey,” he added. “That’s why I’m here.”
Facebook, which also owns Instagram, took the unusual step of issuing their own statement saying they had deleted comments and accounts in response to abuse.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Hungarian Grand Prix
- Vettel’s disqualification stands as Aston Martin drop appeal bid
- Aston Martin considering appeal after FIA rejects request for review of Vettel disqualification
- Alpine doubt first win signals a performance breakthrough
- Vettel disqualification hearing to take place on Monday
- Aston Martin formally requests review of Vettel’s disqualification