Lando Norris is hopeful of fighting Max Verstappen for third place in tomorrow’s sprint qualifying race ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.
McLaren “made some good improvements” to their car in the single hour of practice before today’s qualifying session, said Norris.
“It’s been good since the start, which is nice, and we’ve just been able to work on it quite a bit. So it was good.
“Just to find that little bit more time would have been nice, whatever it was, half a tenth to Max or less that – half of half a tenth. That just would have been lovely. But I’m happy with fourth, it’s a good position for tomorrow.”
Norris has team mate Daniel Ricciardo immediately behind him in fifth place while Sergio Perez lines up ninth in the other Red Bull. McLaren may have a chance to beat Red Bull this weekend, Norris believes.
“I think we just need to stay where we are. If we can have an opportunity to maybe overtake Max – I think we’re maybe a bit closer to him, the Mercedes are a long way up the road so I don’t feel like we’re really racing them – but we could have a chance against against the Red Bulls.
“We’re ahead of Perez and almost ahead of Max. But we’ll wait and see. I’m not sure. We have to look at out high-fuel pace.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Italian Grand Prix
- Who was to blame for Hamilton and Verstappen’s collision at Monza?
- Friday qualifying needs earlier start after “nearly dark” Monza session – Ricciardo
- Drivers suggest sprint qualifying format changes after processional second race
- Sainz pleased for McLaren despite “worst possible” result for Ferrari
- Red Bull were advised Perez should let Leclerc past – Masi