Formula 1 has confirmed its final practice session for the Russian Grand Prix will not go ahead due to heavy rain at the Sochi Autodrom.
“Having received a request from the race director and the clerk of the course, in accordance with Article 15.3 a) of the Formula 1 Sporting Regulations, and Articles 11.9.3.m and 11.9.3.o of the FIA International Sporting Code, decide, in the interest of safety, to modify the official programme by cancelling free practice session three due to force majeure.
“For the purposes of the regulations and associated time limits, free practice session three will be
considered as having taken place, except where otherwise advised by the race director.”
The session was due to begin at 12pm local time. The next Formula 1 session due to take place is qualifying at 3pm local time. The weather forecast indicates the rain may ease before then.
The rain has already caused other alterations to today’s schedule. The morning’s Formula 3 race was brought forward and held yesterday, while the opening Formula 2 race was postponed.
A further Formula 3 race is due to take place at 1:40pm local time, and Formula 2’s second race was scheduled to go ahead after F1 qualifying at 4:45pm.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Are the team orders used in DTM’s controversial finale legal in Formula 1?
- 2021 United States Grand Prix TV Times
- Mercedes “looks like a car that can win championships” now
- Red Bull pin hopes on high altitude tracks after “Hamilton stronghold” COTA
- Verstappen has no obvious weaknesses, it’s hard being his team mate – Perez