Max Verstappen deserves to win the drivers championship this year, says Fernando Alonso, while Mercedes should take the constructors’ title.Lewis Hamilton have been driving at a consistently high level, but named the Red Bull driver as his pick for the title.
“Both of them are driving amazing and no mistakes and pushing the limits every race,” said Alonso. “You see that they are first and second in every race because they are on another level. So that’s fantastic to see how they push each other.”
The pair have filled the top two spots in each of the last five races and go into this weekend’s finale tied on points.
“This final race is going to be tense, for sure, for them,” said Alonso. “I think it will depend on the package a little bit. Mercedes lately, I think, is said to be more performing and they won a couple of races now.
“But Max is driving, in my opinion, one step ahead of all of us. We saw the lap in Jeddah until he touched the wall in the last corner – that lap was coming from Max, not from the Red Bull.
“So in a way that’s my opinion: Mercedes deserve the constructors championship because the car is superior and Max maybe overall in the year was driving one a step ahead of everyone.”
However Alonso insisted he wasn’t cheering on either of his rivals to take the title. “It’s not that I support Max,” he said. “I think he deserved it or he was driving – in my opinion, as I said, everyone has a different opinion – I think he was driving that Red Bull to another level.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Ferrari chairman wants “more clarity” in FIA’s application of F1 rules
- I spoke up for Hamilton because he speaks up for others says fan behind Abu Dhabi petition
- FIA appoints F1’s Nielsen to sporting director role created after Abu Dhabi row
- Abu Dhabi’s legacy one year on: How the controversial 2021 finale changed F1
- F1 must be able to correct consequences of mistakes in race management – Seidl