AlphaTauri’s new AT03 has run on track for the first time ahead of the 2022 Formula 1 season.Pierre Gasly and Yuki Tsunoda.
“The new car is really different,” said Gasly after his first run in the car built to F1’s new regulations for the upcoming season. “I have to say the first feeling driving it was quite good, even if the track was wet and therefore slippery.”
He said there is “lots still to be discovered” about the all-new design ahead of the start of pre-season testing at the Circuit de Catalunya tomorrow. “We will have a lot of work to do to maximize the six days of testing available to us before we get to the first race in Bahrain.”
AlphaTauri’s first impression of their new car was “very positive”, said team principal Franz Tost. “Hopefully the on-track battles will be much closer, for Formula 1 – as for any kind of sport – it’s very important that many competitors are able to win races.
“I think F1 is going into the right direction with the new regulations and the cost cap. I think we have a promising package but now we have to wait and see how we compare once all cars take to the track at pre-season testing.”
Pictures: 2022 AlphaTauri AT03 on track
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2022 F1 season
- Masi says he received “death threats” over months after Abu Dhabi controversy
- Masi did make mistake with title-deciding Abu Dhabi GP restart, Horner admits
- Williams fined for late submission of budget cap documents
- The omission in the FIA’s Abu Dhabi report which may store up trouble for the future
- New insights but notable omissions in Drive to Survive’s account of F1’s 2021 finale