Carlos Sainz Jnr doesn’t believe he will be at a disadvantage because his new Ferrari team boss already has years of experience working with his team mate.Charles Leclerc at ART in GP3 and again at Sauber when Leclerc made his F1 debut five years ago.
Sainz is satisfied Ferrari have chosen the right person to take over from Binotto. “From what they’ve told me and from how I’ve known him, I think he’s the right man,” he told Autosprint.
Vasseur arrived in F1 with Renault in 2016, then joined Sauber the following year. That team has been branded as Alfa Romeo since 2019.
“Everyone in the paddock knows him and I’m sure he’ll do well,” Sainz continued. “There will be an adjustment period, but Fred knows Formula 1 very well and also Ferrari. Now there will be this preparation phase to then start working fully with him.”
Leclerc and Vasseur’s familiarity with each other is no cause for concern, said Sainz. “I don’t think I’m starting from scratch. As I said, I’m sure I’ll get on well with him and he’ll be happy with me when he sees me work, with my relationship with the team and with Charles.
“I think his well-tested relationship with Leclerc will be very useful to everyone, also to accelerate his acclimatisation here.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2023 F1 season
- Norris: Red Bull’s mastery of ‘small things which make a big difference’ key to dominance
- Mercedes must halve deficit to Red Bull before 2024 season starts – Hamilton
- “I didn’t like going in the paddock so much”: Hulkenberg on his happier return to F1
- Ricciardo plans simulator run “next week” to decide how soon he can return
- Mercedes expect “tight” fight for second in championship after Ferrari gains