Alfa Romeo’s Zhou Guanyu says he feels “more ready than ever” going into this year’s Formula 1 season after returning to his home country for the first time in two years.
“We tried to switch fully off [over winter] because from my side, of course, was the two years haven’t been back [to China], and obviously family and friends,” Zhou said at the launch of Alfa Romeo’s 2023 F1 car.
“So that was a very nice time spending there over the holidays, and I really feel more ready than ever because it was first great to catch up with all the people back home in China.
“Coming back here, I feel like I was able to train harder, put even more effort in because I feel like I had a nice winter break and now it’s time to work. So it was a lovely time over the last two months.”
Zhou is going into his second season in F1 and with the Alfa Romeo team, having come 18th in the championship in his rookie campaign. He took a best finish of eighth at the Canadian Grand Prix, and also earned the first fastest lap of his F1 career at the Japanese Grand Prix.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2023 F1 season
- Norris: Red Bull’s mastery of ‘small things which make a big difference’ key to dominance
- Mercedes must halve deficit to Red Bull before 2024 season starts – Hamilton
- “I didn’t like going in the paddock so much”: Hulkenberg on his happier return to F1
- Ricciardo plans simulator run “next week” to decide how soon he can return
- Mercedes expect “tight” fight for second in championship after Ferrari gains