Aston Martin have confirmed reserve driver Felipe Drugovich will drive for the team on the first day of pre-season testing in Bahrain.Lance Stroll will miss this week’s test after suffering an injury while cycling.
Drugovich will be the first to drive on the car on Thursday morning. He will then hand over to Fernando Alonso for the afternoon session. Aston Martin is yet to confirm the plans for Friday and Saturday.
The 22-year-old Drugovich is the reigning Formula 2 champion. He joined Aston Martin’s young driver programme in September and drove for the team in post-season testing at Yas Marina.
Drugovich is one of two reserve drivers the team can call on. However the other, Stoffel Vandoorne, who started 41 grands prix for McLaren between 2016 and 2018, is competing in a Formula E event in South Africa this weekend.
Three other teams have already confirmed their driver schedules for the three-day test at Bahrain International Circuit. Haas will split each day between their two drivers, beginning with Nico Hulkenberg on Thursday.
Drugovich will also share the track with reigning world champion Max Verstappen, who will conduct the first day’s running for Red Bull. Sergio Perez will run on day two and the pair will share Saturday’s session.
Alexander Albon will drive on Thursday morning for Williams, then hand over to team mate Logan Sargeant, before getting back behind the wheel on Saturday morning to conclude the test.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2023 F1 season
- Becoming team leader has made me think for myself more – Tsunoda
- Norris: Red Bull’s dominance down to ‘small things which make a big difference’
- Mercedes must halve deficit to Red Bull before 2024 season starts – Hamilton
- “I didn’t like going in the paddock so much”: Hulkenberg on his happier return to F1
- Ricciardo plans simulator run “next week” to decide how soon he can return