DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters)

BMW get performance break

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Congratulations, BMW – your M4 isn’t very good so the championship organisers going to let you run lighter than your rivals and have more downforce:

The third major decision made by the commission was that BMW will receive some concessions for the coming season. The reason being that is the construction of the BMW M4 DTM means that it is at a deficit compared with the competition, which cannot be offset by technical development due to homologation. The commission has approved the manufacturers’ request to compensate this deficit for the 2016 season. The BMW M4 DTM will compete weighing 7.5 kg less and with a rear wing that is 50 millimetres wider in the 2016 season. The minimum weight for Audi and Mercedes will remain at last season’s weight of 1,120 kg, while BMW will compete with 1,112.5 kg at the first qualifying session of the season.

Not unique in the world of touring car or GT racing, but it’s why this category of competition increasingly leaves me cold. How long until we see F1 doing this kind of thing, I wonder?

PorscheF1
    Participant

Not unique in the world of touring car or GT racing, but it’s why this category of competition increasingly leaves me cold. How long until we see F1 doing this kind of thing, I wonder?

I cannot speak for touring cars as I don’t follow that many series regarding those, but on average a GT race is ten times more exciting than any F1 race. Whilst F1 has it’s own charme there’s plenty to enjoy in both GT and touring car racing, mostly because there is also actual racing in those series, healthy teams and a sane organisation running the sport…

For example last nights Blancpain race at Misano saw the Bentley and the brand new M6 snatch victory thanks to a lucky FCY. That race alone had more drama and overtaking than the entire 2015 season.

I love F1 because it is the pinnacle of motorsport but I am not bothered to say that if you simply love racing whatever cars GT racing is certainly a treat for anyone who loves to see cars go side by side.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.