DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters)

Felix da Costa to join BMW in the DTM for 2014?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JPQuesado
    Participant

Since Kvyat was announced as the new for 2014 Toro Rosso driver, there has been an insane amount of speculation here in Portugal about António Félix da Costa’s future. Many said that he would join GP2, but that is highly unlikely as Red Bull want him to be available during race weekends for the third driver role and/or simulator work. Even more people said he would be in FR 3.5 again, having another shot at the title. But since the end of last week there is a strong rumour, backed up by some facts, that da Costa will join BMW in the DTM for 2014. He tested for them this weekend at Jerez (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111669) and, while we don’t know how that test went for either of the drivers, here’s a curious coincidence: Helmut Marko has said that da Costa’s programme for 2014 will be announced on the 6th of December… and I hear BMW Motorsport will announce their programme and driver line-ups on the 6th of December as well. Make of that what you will…

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

DTM is much better than current F1 anyway. So if I was him, I would have ditched open wheel racing and gone for DTM, isn’t it European’s Redneck Racing?

Steven
    Participant

I don’t think it’s European redneck racing, just German. I wish NASCAR would have more road races, even if the vehicles are cumbersome for that purpose.

In any case, DTM (and I did make a previous comment about the pitstops making the order predictable) has been pretty interesting; this season was the first where I watched as many races as I could. As a Canadian, it’s nice to have a series where I have two Canadians to cheer on (Wickens and Spengler). One of the most memorable races was probably the Nurburgring this year, where Wickens made a pass on 3 cars (I think) all on the outside of turns 2 – 4, in the wet.

Although DTM has it’s own share of regulations they can look at (I still don’t understand the purpose of a mandatory 2-stop race), it’s been a decent year. That said, it’s the first season I’ve watched, so I have no other DTM seasons to compare it to.

Journeyer
    Participant

It helps that they’re free to view on YouTube. :)

As for AFdC, DTM is… risky. It’s a great backup plan if F1 falls through, but the only driver to use DTM as a stepping stone to F1 is Paul di Resta – and that’s it, only him. Unless AFdC is sure he has a 2015 seat at Toro Rosso, if he really wants to enter F1, this might not be the best way to get there.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

You know I won’t even mind, especially after this season, if the broadcasters replace F1 races with DTM. I would enjoy them more.
    Ok about regulations, they are not as tight as F1. DTM is much rough and I could tell if this incident was in F1 the stewards would immediately hand out drive throughs, reprimands or even black flags.

betonwelt
    Participant

@Steven:
    so there’s at least some Canadians who know Spengler (and even watch him) – when he said that he’s virtually unknown in Canada it kinda broke my heart a little bit.
    he’s been so obviously great over so many years now in DTM, he deserves to be a star ‘at home’.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@journeyer Well, mainly 2013 or perhaps 2014 was the time for Felix da Costa, so he was unlucky there. It’s very hard for Portuguese drivers to get into F1, they seem out-gunned by Brazilians with sponsors – ask Parente or Albuquerque. Felix da Costa has a good thing going if he can be competitive in DTM, and reserve/simulator driver for RB/TR alongside Buemi. In the RB pecking list, it has to be said that it’s now between Sainz Jr and Gasly for the 2015 Toro Rosso seat, and perhaps Olsen and Blomqvist for the next one that becomes available.

It has to be said that Canadians have the same problem, and Wickens and Spengler both could have been involved in F1, Spengler’s best chance being Prodrive alongside Gary Paffett. I think 2013 proves that Wickens and Vietoris could do well in F1, and I feel Mercedes should give them a run-out in the 2014 testing phase at some point.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

It’s not going to be an easy switch if he goes to DTM. Ask Wickens and Juncadella how their first seasons went.

wsrgo
    Participant
    JPQuesado
    Participant

Yup. As expected.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.