World Endurance Championship

2015 World Endurance Championship calendar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

The 2015 World Endurance Championship calendar has been revealed.

As this year there will be eight races. A round has been added in Germany – a sensible move, given the presence of Audi and Porsche – which will take place at the Nurburgring.

It arrives at the expense of Brazil’s race at Interlagos, however the organisers note “renovation work means race in Sao Paulo not included in 2015 but could be back in 2016”.

They are also considering a race in Montreal – presumably at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Add that, bring Brazil back, drop Bahrain and Shanghai and they’d have a superb calendar…

2015 World Endurance Championship calendar

12th April: Six Hours of Silverstone
    2nd May: Six Hours of Spa
    13th/14th June: Le Mans 24 Hours
    30th August: Six Hours of Nurburging
    19th September: Six Hours of Circuit of the Americas (‘Lone Star Le Mans’)
    11th October: Six Hours of Fuji
    1st November: Six Hours of Shanghai
    21st November: Six Hours of Bahrain

Atticus
    Participant

The adjusted F1 calendar completely, literally wrecked the WEC calendar – all but three WEC event clashes with an F1 race weekend, including the 6 Hours of Spa (albeit with the Korean GP, which is TBC), putting Nico Hülkenberg’s WEC programme in jeopardy, I’m afraid…

The provisional F1 calendar had only two clashes instead of the current five. One would hope the FIA is sensible enough not to have their two marquee motor sport series compete for fans directly…

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@atticus-2 That’s just a diversion – the Korean GP announcement was even a shock to those in Yeongam. Long term, a Seoul street race is a good replacement for Malaysia, or perhaps India, if the extra tax gets overhauled.

I agree @keithcollantine, this calendar has some promise… Silverstone, Spa, Le Mans, Montreal, Nurburgring, COTA, Fuji, Interlagos would be great! Shanghai could be kept to get a foot in the door for China, and Bahrain could prop up the series if they collect any money for it. Maybe Monza is the only big omission?

9-11 rounds is a good amount, making me think of the 60s era.. except now each round is combined between 2 or 3 drivers :)

MazdaChris
    Participant

I really wish they would get rid of the big gap after Le Mans. It’s the premier event of the season, and the race people are most likely to bother watching. It seems incredibly short sighted not to want to capitalise on all the excitement generated by the 24h by having a succession of races shortly afterwards.

I guess there is a need for a short break as the teams will need time to go back and repair/rebuild the cars after they battering they take, but I would have thought three weeks should be enough time, at the most. By the time the Nurburgring rolls around, people will have forgotten about it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.