World Endurance Championship

Going to Le Mans 2015

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JMLabareda
    Participant

Hi
    I am doing my first trip to Le Mans this year and would be keen to hear from people who have been there. I have all my tickets and accommodation sorted and am looking specifically for tips on how to maximise the experience while at the track:

– recently been to Silverstone for the 6 hours and really enjoyed walking across the track and watching the cars really closely – is this possible at Le Mans and what is the best way around considering the length of the track? Given that I have grandstand tickets for near the start/finish line, how easy is it to get to the Mulsanne Straight, Mulsanne corner, Arnage etc.?
    – any particular tips on places inside the track area which are good to take a break and catch up the race on a large screen or TV, or generally interesting stuff near to do? Again it took me some time to figure out what was on offer at Silverstone so grateful for any tips you may have.

thanks in advance!

MazdaChris
    Participant

You’re in for an absolute treat. Loads to do, mostly centered around the main pit/paddock area. Behind the paddock is the le Mans Village area with all sorts of stuff for fans to do. The museum is there too, and is well worth checking out. You can get busses all around the track to the various viewing areas around Arnage, Mulsanne, etc etc. I’m not sure whether you have to pay for them – we’ve always just taken the car. It only takes a short while to get around but it’s a bit of a maze so work out the routes first, or see if an accomodating person can show you. It’s too big to realistically walk, unless you really fancy hiking miles.

There’s loads that’ll be going on all week – how long are you there for? Take some time out on Friday to check out the British Welcome – a car show at Saint Saturnin. This year it’s featuring MG, but there are always loads of supercars on show, from just about every marque you can think of. Apparently there’s also a big of a show/congregation this year on Mulsanne corner on the Friday which is another car show.

If you’re there for the week leading up to it, check out the scrutineering events at the Place De la Republique in Le Mans centre – just a short tram ride away. Le Mans also has a beautiful gothic cathedral which you can visit while you’re there, if that’s your sort of thing.

Are you staying at the track?

JMLabareda
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it. I am actually staying in town as some of the family are more into cathedrals than racing…
    I am only there Thu-Sunday but at least can go to some of the events on Friday.

MazdaChris
    Participant

We don’t stay at the track either. Much as I love motorsport, I also love my sleep, and you don’t get a whole lot of that at the circuit. We stay at a beautiful campsite about 10km from the track, and they have lots of entertainment there in the week before the race. Once, the Michellin team were staying there and they put on a load of entertainment with a brass band and a couple of classic omnibusses, it was ace.

You’ll have a brilliant time, and I bet you’ll want to go back for longer next time!

JMLabareda
    Participant

had a GREAT time, and you are right want to stay for longer next year!

I think driving works best as well for moving around, the buses are ok but it takes a bit too long as they always seem to be full.

MazdaChris
    Participant

I’ve never seen it as busy as it was this year. Not just in terms of peak numbers at the track, but the sheer volume of people that were there constantly. It’s a shame that Friday was a bit of a washout – I went to Saint Saturnin for the car show but it was absolutely rammed and then the skies opened.

We were stuck on the motorway for over two hours on Saturday waiting to get to the circuit – again I’ve never seen it as busy as this.

Anyway, glad you had a good time. I’m already planning next year’s trip!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.