World Endurance Championship

Karun Chandhok to race in World Endurance Championship

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Karun Chandhok will drive an Acura LMP1 car for JRM in the World Endurance Championship this year.

According to the press release this will make him the first Indian to race in the Le Mans 24 Hours. If memory serves me correctly Narain Karthikeyan was supposed to start there a few years ago but injured himself falling off the pit wall (or something like that) before the start and had to pull out!

http://karunchandhok.com/KC/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=320%3Ajrm-racing-confirms-karun-chandhok-for-fia-world-endurance-championship&catid=41%3Aroknewspager-showcase&Itemid=164

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brilliant. This is the team I’ll be gunning for to do well as I’ve supported them and their sister team’s (Sumo Power) Nissans in the GT1 World Championship the past couple of seasons.

Good to hear Karun has landed a top drive. I look forward to seeing who he’s teaming up with. Best of luck to all involved!

Victor_RO
    Participant

One correction Keith: the cars are no longer called Acuras since early 2010, the nomenclature is HPD (Honda Performance Development) ARX-03a. And yes, Karthikeyan was supposed to race in 2009 for Kolles in an Audi R10, but he dislocated his shoulder while jumping over the pitwall with about 25 minutes to go before the start and didn’t drive the car at all during the race. Andre Lotterer and Charles Zwolzman Jr drove the car for the full race as a 2-driver team and finished 7th.

As for Chandhok’s teammates, well… he’s got two great teachers to get him started in endurance racing: Peter Dumbreck and David Brabham.

@Victor_RO Thanks for the info!

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can’t blame Keith for not realising though, even the article names it as the Acura!

xjr15jaaag
    Participant

That si some excellent news :)
    Could you keep us informed n what happens please?

S.J.M
    Participant

Only 6months till Le Man, cant wait! Whats the news with the Endurance championship (they should just keep it as “Sports Cars”), is it being televised by anyone?

Well done to Karun, he’s a nice guy and although I dont think he’s F1 good I am hopefull he will do well in Endurance racing, where I think consistancy is as vital as speed.

Victor_RO
    Participant

@S.J.M Eurosport had a three-year deal for the ILMC starting from 2011, and with the WEC basically taking over from the ILMC with the same people being in charge, Eurosport should cover the WEC for the foreseeable future.

Which unfortunately means horrendously unpredictable schedules and broadcast times for the non-Le Mans rounds, balanced out somewhat by comprehensive coverage for the whole of Le Mans week.

ed24f1
    Participant

Chandhok, D Brabham and Dumbreck is a very strong line-up for JRM, they should do a good job! I’ll certainly be going for them as my ‘underdog’ tip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.