World Endurance Championship

Le Mans: More cars and new Garage 56 entrants

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Lots of interesting news from Le Mans today. Great to see they will increase its grid to 58 cars next year and 60 the year after that. Hopefully that will mean more LMP1 cars or maybe a few GTE-Pros – I can never get that excited about the pro-am classes.

They’re also bringing back Garage 56 from next year for unusual one-off entries. A specially adapted car for Frederic Saussett, a quadruple amputee, will be on the grid next year. The 2017 entry will be powered by biomethane.

There will also be rules changes to make the LMP2 and GTE cars quicker. More here:

http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/aco-announces-technical-plans-for-lm-p2-and-gte-classes_2_2_1746_20841.html

PorscheF1
    Participant

I thought they were going to make the LMP2 class smaller either way to make way for GTE and LMP1 cars. I don’t know where these P1 are going to come from. Don’t expect Ford to announce one today.

BMW also denied entry and I don’t know which brand would. Bentley has been more active in racing (blancpain) so maybe they will give WEC another go in 2017/2018 too, I don’t know.

I don;t think anyone disagrees WEC could use more (competetive) LMP1s as the Nissan might not be just that even in 2016.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.