RaceFans site development

New profile menu and other changes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

F1 Fanatic has had a software update today. Much of the changes are performance/admin based so you won’t notice them but there are a few fixes and improvements you may see.

The biggest change you’ll notice is the tidying of the upper menu where you can manage your profile and check up on notifications. This is now right-aligned, looks a bit slicker and shows your avatar. The ‘visit random stuff’ menu has gone but hardly anyone was clicking on it anyway.

As a result some of the menu options have changed slightly. The FAQ explaining where you can find things like changing your display name, avatar and password has been updated here:

F1 Fanatic site and user accounts FAQ

You also now have the ability to choose who can view different parts of your profile. As there isn’t any scope for putting sensitive information in your profile this hasn’t been needed previously, but that may change in future – obviously it’s something sites like Facebook have had problems with. The options are: publicly viewable/logged-in users only/friends only.

There are a few improvements and fixes for how @ messages work – in particular, they weren’t working if you put a full stop at the end of them, that has now been corrected.

I’ve had a good rummage around on the test site and not noted any new problems but as ever if you spot something which doesn’t seem right please let me know.

Anonymous
    Inactive

On the top left there’s icons for SEO, posts awaiting moderation etc. Are they for all members or have I/we been made moderators by mistake?

BasCB
    Participant

Hi @keithcollantine. I just noticed the top bar being changed. Is it intentional that on the left side of it we have some wordpress administrator tools (notification of comments in moderation, new post button and SEO toos?) – they show up for me when visiting the forum while being logged on (http://t.co/xEVI2yTe).

On the main site these are not visible.

ScuderiaVincero
    Participant

This came as a pleasant surprise. Here I was looking at the “Your Questions” article when I noticed the upper menu greeting me like a Cowboy. “Howdy ScuderiaVincero” it said. Made my day it did! :)

@pjtierney @bascb This should not be displaying for you. Can you please send me some more details of exactly what you can see and how via the contact form. Thanks:

https://www.racefans.net/contact/contact-f1fanatic/

If anyone else experiences this problem can they do the same as well please.

BasCB
    Participant

I sent details of it through the contact form now Keith.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@keithcollantine I’ve just contacted you about that too.

One question, though. When I get a notification, does the colour or something of the icon next to “Welcome, Fer no.65” changes or something? because if it only changes to “1”, with the same colour, I’ll never notice it.

I liked the previous one, that said “No notifications”, and if you got one, it was a bright green icon with a “1”.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@fer-no65 – I’m pretty sure it changes colour. It did for me. The notification sign is green when there are no new notifications, and light blue when there are.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Great! That’s good then. Thanks for “@” me, so I could see it :P.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It didn’t actually occur to me that tagging you in the post would cause your notification sign to change.

necrodethmortem
    Participant

Since this update, the frame on the top right that gives notifications e.g. “Predict the top five and win prizes” doesn’t disappear when I hit the close button.

I tried it in both Firefox 8 and Chrome 21.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.