F1 Games

GRID Autosport

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Atticus
    Participant

Hi guys,

I just wonder if there’s anybody else besides me, who picked up this title.

The thing that caught my attention was a line that heraled it as ‘the best simulator currently available for PC.’ (Both GT and Forza are for consoles only.) Since then, I got to know that this acknowledgement actually goes to Assetto Corsa, but I got to like Autosport in the meantime, so I stuck with it.

Despite the overall ‘floatiness’ of the physics, I kind of like the handling model; it feels a bit like a sim without being overly punishing, you can really feel tight or loose conditions, the setup changes actually has an effect, it is playable above average on keyboard, and the different cars have quite different feels for them in the corner entry, mid-corner, exit, and oversteer, understeer regions respectively.

This is paired with mostly well-built race tracks, the best, most challenging of which I think are Mount Panorama, Brands Hatch, Mont Tremblant and Spa. There are only 15 of them though (plus a few fictional street courses), so the length of the list is a bit on the thin side and some of them (e. g. Indy) clearly has lower quality physics than others (e. g. Brands Hatch).

The AI is VERY aggressive, at least in the touring discipline, where I spent most of my time so far, but I like it when my opponents are pushing the limits right to the edge and sometimes beyond it, so it’s fine for me. It pushes me on as well.

The damage model is excellent, I can’t think of any better in any game.

The graphics are gorgerous too aside from the truly awful, ‘pixel-y’ and dark patchwork that is the cockpit view.

All in all, it terms of racing, it is very very good I think, but I feel the career mode a bit drawn out.

What’s your take on it?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.