F1 Games

iRacing Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    Joey-Poey
    Participant

@ajokay: look up Joseph Peak and you should be able to find me :). Also, thanks for the well wishes! We actually just released the trailer for one of our short films (just giving a link as an aside since I’m very proud of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aeb9amHc9H4 ). The SRF is very tricky when you first hop in there. There’s two big parts to keep it from spinning: brake *before* you turn and not after and don’t completely let off the gas when turning. Once you get used to that, it becomes second nature and you simply react.

Don’t worry, I *still* get very nervous at starts or any time I’m high up in the field. I have to consciously calm myself down. So if you get rattled by having someone riding your bumper, it’s normal with you being still very new. The fun part of this is, you can do the same to others ;). At any rate, if it helps you, I just remind myself to focus on MY race, not others. Continue doing my laps, hitting my braking points, hitting my apexes. Because that’s what I should be doing. The track hasn’t changed and you’re doing the same thing you do in practice. If they make a dive or set up for a pass, I’ll see it in the mirrors and I’ll be aware. But I can’t let them shift my focus away from driving the fastest laps I can because the second I do that, I’m going to drive slower. Ultimately, the best you can do is drive your race. That’s the sort of zen view I try to take to keep pressure from getting to me or deflate me if I get passed.

The only time you really want to fight for position is when you’re pretty evenly matched with the guy. At that point you have something to gain by holding on. If they’re faster than you by a good margin, it’s better to simply let them take the position than hold them up because they’re going to get more desperate as the laps go by if you’re managing to keep them behind somehow. That’s a bad situation for both of you AND it’s slowing both of you down.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP. I just looked at the series standings and I’m second in my division!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

JOSEPH! of course. I’ve been searching Joe and Joey, no wonder. When you get a friend request (if that’s how it works) off Alex Odell, that’ll be me! Cnngrats on being 2nd in division. There’s so much information on the member site with standings and whatnot, I haven’t yet worked it all out!

Anyone else feel free to add me if you wish.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Whew, it’s feast or famine for me. My first race of the night started me in fifth, only to find myself caught up in a first corner tussle (starting to fear the massive traffic jams at La Source. Always giving everyone a WIIIIIDE berth anymore). Tried to carry on and decided by Eau Rouge that I’m too out of shape. So after a 3 minute tow, I finally exit in 12th. Spent most of the race clawing my way back only to wind up 10th. What a waste of a great start position :C

THEN, second race I started from second, lost a number of places at La Source and managed to make them all back by Les Combes. Spent the rest of the race edging away from third about a tenth at a time. managed to run low 2:52’s the ENTIRE race AND ran it perfectly clean! WOO! It wasn’t a thrilling race but it felt good to run so well! :D

Joey-Poey
    Participant

.029 seconds at the finish. I am on the left 8C

Anonymous
    Inactive

Damn, that’s close Joe. I had a finish in the nVidia cup yesterday that only had a couple of tenths in it. I was following the guy in second for about 3 laps and couldn’t get past. An opportunity presented itself when a lapped backmarker shoved his way through both of us, but then ended up spinning himself off onto the grass. Came out of the final bend faster than him, but not quite close enough to take that 2nd place

Spa sounds epic, especially in that little Skip single seater. That car is probably the first one I’ll buy when I’ve exhausted what’s available, although thats gonna take a while as I’ve only raced the Mazda and like Rock so far, although I have no interest in oval racing, so those cars/tracks won’t get used.

I’ve grabbed myself a couple of 3rd places. No wins yet but at least I’ve reached the podium, and my best lap of Lime Rock is now 1:00.444 (with a combined sectors best of a shade under 1 minute… so the speed is there, just not all on the same lap!)

Although a couple of disasterous races last night left me feeling dejected again. the slightest nudge from someone else bent my steering (these cars seem far too fragile) and the over-compensation left me wrecked in a tyre wall. I’d just had enough and ended the race with my first DNF.

Still though, getting better

Chalky
    Participant

and if you not sure if you want to pay for iRacing then you can try it for 1 month for free. Valid until the end of Feb this year.

http://iracing.com/sbrs/

Maybe I should try it?

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Sounds like you’re coming along great, AJ! You’ve actually got a better fastest lap at Lime Rock in the MX-5 than me, now. My fastest is a 1:00.516 in practice. For some reason firsts have always been tough for me, so don’t feel too bad. It’s that combination of being fast, not having mistakes and getting clear of everyone (pole really helps that). I’m still mad at myself for making so many mistakes last night. I started from pole and the guy passed me with the draft on the run to Les Combes in the first lap. I was very clearly faster than him for the entire race and he admitted it, I just kept making stupid mistakes while trying to pass him! I locked up or dipped a wheel in the grass or missed a shift, the list goes on.

I tell ya, though, you’ll probably enjoy the Skips. They’re not very powerful, but they’re light. They creep off the line and reach around 120 at max, but it teaches you patience in passing because you can’t bang ’em around like the MX-5 and the SRF. In fact I got a 0X contact at Spa this past week with the most lightest of touches from a guy spinning in front of me. Yet my front wing was still completely buggered up and I had to get repaired because everyone was flying by me on the straights due to the aero.

…but when you buy the next single seater up? The Star Mazda… oh my god it’s night and day. As my friend put it, “It’s a big-boy car.”

@chalky: give it a go! Just make sure your computer can handle it as it does need a relatively recent machine. But yeah, at least give it a try and if it’s not your thing, no worries :)

Polishboy808
    Participant

If anything, the guy (Konrad Czaczyk) that just added you guys as friends is me. Is there a possibility to do a race together? Like all of us enter a Nvidia cup race?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was watching the Star Mazda World Cup final on that sim racing broadcast website last night. It’s as good as watching a real-life race. I tell you, The top guys are so good at this you may-as-well be watching the pros. Lapping Road Atlanta (great track… it is in Forza 3 anyway) with such precision, and the battle for the lead lasted for the entire race, right until the last corner. So much fun.

And Konrad, I believe you can set up a private race for you and your friends. Dunno if all entering the nVidia cup at the same time would work, as we’d all end up in different races due to safety and skill level.

Polishboy808
    Participant

Thats what I thought. How do you set a private race up. And if I find out how, anyone wanna try a private race in the MX-5s?

Joey-Poey
    Participant

I think setting up a private race means having your own server, which costs money, sadly. BUT, if you friend someone, they automatically try to enter you in the same heat as friends. What we can do is try to agree on a specific time. I think you can actually chat somehow on the iRacing site, so if we say a general time to meet up, we can go and then figure out what race we want to try for.

And as a side note, so you guys know: when you friend someone it doesn’t alert the person (dunno why). I’m going to add you anyway Konrad :)

Polishboy808
    Participant

Yeah, I read that too :( Oh well, its just too bad that the creators of Iracing are so money thirsty that they make everything so dang expensive. Do you have to pay for a server on Rfactor? No! Then why oh why do we have to pay here…

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Well, I was thinking about that yesterday and I realized “well… it’s better than $30,000 just to get a car and team at the very bottom rung of real life racing.”

Plus, less costly when you screw up X)

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Wow. The short version of Road Atlanta has proved to be pretty intense. There’s only 3 braking points on the course and only one (the chicane) lends itself to passing. Otherwise, you find yourself temping fate unless you really trust the person you’re up against. It’s fun, but I won’t miss it next week…

In other news, did we still want to try and set up a day and general time to try and catch one another for a MX-5 race? It’s too bad we don’t have more people, I’d say if we can get at least 20 F1F-ites involved, it’d be worth trying to set up a league or something.

George
    Participant

Damned Road Atlanta, two races now I’ve been doing well until someone in front of me spins then you just have nowhere to go(usually means going straight over grass and getting a slow penalty).

I’d be up for an MX-5 race if I’m around, weekend would be best.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.