F1

Alonso vs. Trulli in 2004

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nathan
    Participant

Hey guys, my first topic here;

Want to ask you a little bit about the main two Renault drivers during 2004, Alonso and Trulli..
    What’s your review of their (respectively) 1)qualifying performances and their 2)race performances during 04 ??

2004 is interesting for me because a) it was the year before Alonso became WC -he was surely good before becoming a WC, b) 04 was also of Trullis best seasons ever in F1, c) and it was the first time Alonso had a proper challenger before Hamilton and Fisichella/Massa occasionally.

Also, I’m mainly concerned about the qualifyings during the first half of 04 (Trulli was awesome that time), mostly because somehow some people (f.ex on this forum) believes that Alonso is just an average qualifyer but makes up for it in the races… What’s your take on that?
    :-)

andae23
    Participant

First of all, it’s 2005 when Alonso won his first World Championship, but nonetheless it’s an interesting comparison. Also, I have to say I’m a bit biased, because I’m a Trulli fan. From what I’ve read in interviews since, Flavio was heavily biased towards Alonso all season. Both drivers were about equally good, Trulli a little stronger in qualifying, Alonso stronger in the race.

Things first started to get a bit tense when Trulli won the Monaco GP: Alonso was meant to win that one, as Flavio made clear to Trulli after the race. The situation took a turn for the worse when Barrichello caught Trulli napping in the final turn of the French GP. It completely wrecked Trulli’s self-esteem, resulting in him not scoring any points in the rest of the season.

So, qualifying performance: Trulli, often seen as the master over one lap, has the upper hand, but Alonso surely didn’t do too bad in qualifying that year either.

Nathan
    Participant

Yeah sure, I know ofc that Alonsos first WC was 05.. :-)

If you look at 2003 (ALO’s first year in Renault’s race seat), Alonso beat Trulli fair and square, races especially, since it is his “trait” so to say.
    Overall, they were equal during 2004, but my impression that somehow Alonso struggled in 3-4 races midway in 04, and Trulli was better than him in both races and qualifying. If I recall correctly, only Hamilton and Trulli(occasionally on his best) could match or be a little better than Alonso during a season…

That said, I’m a Alonso fan an a ferrarista as you see. :)

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Doing the tallies, after Monza – Trulli’s last race with the team – Trulli had an 8-7 advantage over Alonso in qualifying and race classifications (including races where he and/or Alonso retired from the race).

At one point, though, those advantages were something to the tune of 6-2 Trulli in qualifying at one point in the season.

Alonso had a difficult 2004 season, but the results gap was very, very marginal.

Kingshark
    Participant

Out of the 8 races where both drivers finished, they were 4-4 in results. Alonso scored four podiums compared to only two for Trulli, but Jarno won the race at Monaco.

Overall, the points tally was 47-46 with one point in favor of Trulli before Briatore sacked him, though Alonso did have more bad luck that season; kind of like Vettel vs Webber in 2010, where Mark was leading the championship with 3 races to go, but Seb was outperforming him in the 2nd half of the season despite having more bad luck.

Nathan
    Participant

@Kingshark; so you mean that 2010 Seb=Alo in 2004, and Webber=Trulli..? Just to make sure I understood you.

Actually Trulli had another more or less stellar season next year, 05 with Toyota. Trulli was quite a driver during the end of the Schumacher era.

Kingshark
    Participant
    Nathan
    Participant

– So, would you guys say that Alo was after all the _better_ driver, even though the results were not there?

Then what’s your take on 2003?

Kingshark
    Participant

Alonso was the better Renault driver throughout the majority of 2003, but Trulli bested him in a few races midway the season. Overall ‘Nando won that pretty convincingly, 55 to 33 in points, 5 podiums to 1, and 1 win to none.

the_sigman
    Participant

@kingshark I think you mean 2003

Nathan
    Participant

Have some of you further opinions about this, maybe?

electrolite
    Participant

Almost like Webber and Vettel in 2009. Not to mention it was the year before one of them won the championship.

Nathan
    Participant

@electrolite;
    and then who is who..? Webber in 09 = Trulli 04 ?

( I’m asking all these questions because I want to hear people’s opinions on just how good alonso really was during his early F1career ;-). Has he always been the best, or not? )

NB>>(also, i like the guy, I mean he really is one of the coolest drivers of the current crop, in addition to being one of the very best at driving an open-wheel-racecar. That’s why I’m a mega fan)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.