F1

2015 new team applications

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    wsrgo
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys you mean two best, paying drivers, right?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Pay drivers are a necessary evil because costs are so high. The Global Cost Cap, whatever form it ultimately takes, will obviously be designed to limit costs. And Haas, as co-owner of a successful NASCAR team, would be a much more attractive prospect to potential sponsors than USF1 were. Add all of that up together, and you get a situation where Haas would be less dependent on pay drivers than if he tried to enter this year.

Even if he absolutely had to take two pay drivers, there is no guarantee that he would take Rossi and Daly. There may be some pressure to take an American driver, but the budgets of some European drivers rival what Rossi and Daly could conjure up.

Besides, no team has ever taken a driver on the basis of their nationality, much less run them for a year and said to themselves “yes, that was the best decision we could have made”.

Nick
    Participant

If anything, HRT’s lack of Spanish sponsors, Dani Clos and the USF1 debacle should be enough warning for Gene Haas to try and keep any weird national preferences from happening. That being said, Rossi and Daly aren’t exactly likely F1 prospects for any other team, much like Dani Clos never remained of interest after HRT flirted with him.

We all know how proud Italians are of Ferrari and would love an Italian driver to drive for the Scuderia. Yet the last time an Italian won for Ferrari was 1985. The last time a US driver won for a US entry is much further back. I don’t think just because they’re American, they’ll forget about the need for the best (possible) drivers.

Haas owns a big company as well, sponsoring one of his own cars in NASCAR. Danica Patrick has been backed by GoDaddy since Indycar, but has little business outside of the US, so is extremely unlikely to venture into F1.

There were rumors about Chad Hurley of YouTube once again being willing to sponsor a US F1 entry, wonder if we’ll hear more on that.

If Kolles enters, that might be a bigger ‘problem’ for non-paying drivers.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@braketurnaccelerate This is indeed true, only noticed recently..

Rossi could move sideways towards Caterham sports cars if Frijns is now ahead of him there. Daly is hanging on at Force India but could always return to Indycar if he can’t get going in GP2 next year. It does seem that drivers like Ericsson will be ahead of these guys for the near future (and Frijns now even has 6m Euros backing.. new management did him well). Even Pic could be back at Lotus as test driver (Renault backing).

Last total US win – Gurney at Spa 67? Ferrari are working on it.. their FDA could save them salary costs in the long run, if they promote from within with Bianchi, Marciello, Fuoco, although they could still plump for Vettel, Hulkenberg of course..

It’s been said that Haas’ company makes $100m profit a year, which could be an F1 budget. Then of course the advertising could generate them new business around the world. But that’s still enough to put them ahead of Marussia, Caterham and near to the midfield teams (with expertise and logistics then the deciding factor). The cost cap will just bring the top 4 teams down to a 2:1 spending ratio (i.e. keeping them from developing their way too far out infront).

Dion
    Participant

@fastiesty

and Frijns now even has 6m Euros backing.. new management did him well

I’m sorry to digress from this thread’s subject, but what’s your source on that?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Oh, I saw it on thejudge13. Surprising news, but it makes sense now that he is linked to the third driver’s seat at Caterham.

Deej92
    Participant

Pic going to Lotus as test driver is a realistic suggestion. I think it’s realistic because of, as you said, the Renault backing, and that we’ve seen similar moves in the last few years: Senna to Renault from HRT and d’Ambrosio to Lotus from Virgin.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Lotus also like to have multiple reserves, perhaps as Valsecchi noted: “There’s a seat there for 2-3m Euro”.. Maybe Renault have stumped it up to keep Pic involved in F1 (Sorensen as the other reserve is on the team’s YDT), and will get it back as part of the payments for engines anyway. Maybe one can be the ‘sim’ driver..

Nick
    Participant

@fastiesty Marciello and Fuoco have a long time/way to go before they’ll be with Ferrari in F1 and Ferrari needs to up its game after 2013 as well. That being said, Marciello is one of the drivers I’m very excited about.

As for Haas’ company, I don’t think he would like to pump all that money into F1. Doing some research, Tony Stewart’s sponsors seem unlikely to follow Haas and NetZero is another US based broadband company. It seems unlikely they will carry over a lot of big sponsors from their NASCAR cars.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I don’t think Haas would have too much trouble finding sponsors. He will probably be banking on the idea that he is an experienced team owner, and that he has a plan to go through Dallara and Ferrari for the time being. His proposal is a lot more stable than the likes of USF1.

Piotr Koteryl
    Participant

I am excited about the idea of having a fuller grid again – even possibly bringing back pre-qualifying…a pain, though it was. I wonder: which team would become the Andrea Moda of the modern era?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

There is no chance that pre-qualifying will return. Formula 1 is extremely expensive, and nobody is going to commit tens of millions of dollars to setting up a team if there is a chance that they will not make it onto the grid at all.

Besides, the maximum grid size is capped at twenty-six cars. Pre-qualifying would not be necessary until there are twenty-eight cars (as single-car teams do not exist), which the regulations will not allow.

Meander
    Participant

Actually even more than that. More than 26 cars can participate in Q with the risk of DNQ. Pre-Q with the risk of DNPQ needs more cars than they can fit in Q and does not involve the teams that have a bye straight into normal Q.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

All the same, the sport is too expensive for anyone to commit to the grid if there is a risk they will not race.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.