F1

A Bahraini F1F, the Bahrain GP and how we see it..

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    dansus
    Participant

@ZAK

Would you describe yourself as a Shiite or a Sunni?

LAK
    Participant

@wasiF1 Thank you so much for your heartfelt words, I really feel all of your support and it is really overwhelming!

@jihelle I’m sorry if I offended you as a media person, but they weren’t interested in both sides. Maybe they were all taken back by the lives that were lost, as we all were! So they became biased because of that.. If you don’t know about the history of the disrupt that the opposition have been causing in the country you will never know or understand where we come from. I do not want to go into that, as this is NOT my point, I don’t want to point or blame anyone. But the opposition have been here for years and are not as peaceful as everyone may think, the police you talk about have protected us for years. No one can judge them but Bahrainis, and yes they have protected ALL of the F1 races and have ensured the safety of everyone who attended. This is not the first time the opposition attempted to do things during international events, and the police have served and died protecting their people, so please don’t take everything at face value.

I am very sorry don’t mean to attack you or anything, but our police aren’t known for ‘attacking innocent’ people. What happened was wrong, and all of the forces were withdrawn.

@AUS_Steve Thank you, your support really means a lot to us! :)

LAK
    Participant

@dansus I’m assuming ZAK is me lol Please refer to my answer to @Movement above as I already answered that :)

BasCB
    Participant

I am neither Sunni nor Shiite as well. Not really the most important thing, although every single difference between groups can be part of disagreements.

Only thing modern society should do about that it listen to the arguments and adress matters piecefully (right, a western propagated Idea, that often does not get too much chance even in the west).

What group one belongs to should not be what matters, and often it is just a relatively easy way to describe a group (compare the “ethnics” of Albanians, Serbs, Croatians and “Muslims” in the shambles of Juguslavia)

Great to see you feel up to the task of defending your views LAK. I really get the feeling things are on the up now in Bahrain and hope you keep this course going so you don’t need the imported police forces (that did not help the situation I suppose) to protect anyone.

Keep it going as a good example for others. And let’s celebrate at the next Bahrain GP with full grandstands from all groups in the population (safe orthodox religious groups who do not hold with such fun).

Sad to hear China got to preventively arresting people planning protests, although it is nothing close to the abhorrent treatment of protests by Ghadaffi’s regime. Respect for all risking their lives getting as much news out for the rest of the world, be it only part of the picture as it is discovered there and then.

BasCB
    Participant

After a bit of thinking, I will ad my view on democratic governments. It existance is a tool not to give power, but to prevent a single group or person from having power. That is why democratic goverments are hard done by to make big desicions fast. They have to listen to a lot of opinions.

Respecting the PM is great. Keeping him in office for that long is not the best way to show this. People just cannot handle being in power for that long, as they end up getting shown only what people believe they want to see. Who does not know the feeling of doing the same for a long time getting you to stop looking around and wondering if what and how you work is OK?

Icthyes
    Participant

Amen BasCB. It’s ironic really in a way that we are getting these pro-democratic uprisings (for want of a better word) in the Middle East (which by the way is a term I don’t agree with, if it’s the Middle East where is the Near East? I prefer to call the region the latter, I think archeologists do so too), since I feel representative democracy had had its day in the West and especially with the financial crisis is beginning to buckle and if it broke I don’t see a fairer world resulting from it at all.

bosyber
    Participant

Good to hear from you LAK, and thanks for providing your inside views on how your country is doing. I am not going to repeat many of the things that people have said here, as that would just be redundant. While the media may report only part of the story, the internet allows us to look for other views. Your account, but also that video posted here, help us get a better insight into what is really happening. Although it doesn’t always make it easier to see the complete picture and it is good to have independent journalists do that, it is hard to be sure you found them, so having more direct sources is very valuable.

I was also impressed with the interview by your crown prince – while I am sometimes a bit cynical and had some doubts about how sincere he might be (as I would with most speeches by politicians here in the Netherlands), in the end what I think is his intent doesn’t matter at all. As long as he is determined to keep it up and work to bring a consensus on how to improve Bahrain for all people, which he certainly seems to be. Certainly, that shows how different a country Bahrain is from, for example, Mubarak’s Egypt, or Libya. I hope that all parties concerned manage to work on a peaceful way forward for your country.

cubejam
    Participant

Well that post started off quite interesting and then I got bored by the end of it!

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Cubejam- perhaps if you don’t have anything constructive to say you should say nothing at all?

Icthyes- you’re right, it is a bit misleading. Presumably it’s a legacy of the colonial era. I think if you’re going to call it anything though it should be Western Asia/ North Africa. Also, I think maybe you’re mixing democracy with capitalism, I’d take the financial crisis over dictator’s and police states any day

xtophe

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/robert-fisk-in-manama-bahrain-ndash-an–uprising-on-the-verge-of-revolution-2220639.html

Interesting article by Robert Fisk, a man who I hold highly when it comes to correct journalism.

“For the record, the Shia rebellion against the country’s Sunni rulers has been going on for years, with hundreds of political prisoners tortured in four prisons in and around Manama, their tormentors often from the Jordanian army just as many Bahraini soldiers come from the Punjab and Baluchistan in Pakistan. Yesterday, there were repeated demands for the release of political prisoners, banners carrying photographs of young men who are still in jail years after their original sentencing: they run into the hundreds.”

How do statements like this pan out vis vis the crown prince’s discourse of national unity? Bahrain surely isn’t another Egypt or Tunisia, but some strategies of the political elites aren’t really that different.

What I do wonder is how the two legislative assemblies balance each other out. Do they have equal power? That would seem strange, because it would mean only 50% of the MPs are actually voted into power and 50% is appointed by a hereditary monarch with no real democratic legitimacy. How does this bicameral system balance itself?

bosyber
    Participant

xthope, I think that report shows that if he is serious, the Crown Prince has a lot of work to do to establish true equality. It seems quite clear that there is reason for the protesters to be unhappy, but that doesn’t mean that the CP isn’t serious about changing things for the better and putting serious thought and work into how to get there. But equally clear is that it will take a while, realistically, before the violence that has been done can be put aside while discussing change. It doesn’t change anything about a full blown revolution being something likely better avoided by all parties.

I wondered about those two assemblies too, but I think we should also not forget that, for example, the UK House of Lords for a large part, is made up of “lords”, and only since 2011 will membership also be possible for commoners, officially suggested by the monarch but appointed by the PM, if I’m not mistaken.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi LAK, thanks for your heartfelt posts, I understand your need to share your views. I hope you and yours are well and stay safe.

I’ve posted a couple of my thoughts about both the troubles and the scheduled race on the forum over the last few days and won’t go into that here.

However, despite my views on the Bahraini govnt etc, I maintain that it’s a universal human right to have freedom of speech without fear of reprisals and it’s good to see that progress is being made on that front, and that those who feel the need to protest (whether in the majority or minority) are free to do so safely.

I hope to see the Bahrain GP take place in the future again, once these protests are over and any changes brought about by them are implemented.

dansus
    Participant

@LAK

Im struggling to find your answer but reading between the lines you seem sincere in your outlook and i hope the best for you and your community. I just hope your not naive to the realities of your country’s situation.

Asanator
    Participant

@ Icthyes…What you describe as Near East would be technically called Eastern Europe!

Thanks for the insight LAK, It is probably the most interesting thing I have read about the whole Bahraini affair! The media nowadays have a tendency to only report on the most headline grabbing stories that they can, and it is getting harder and harder to find balanced reporting, even on the BBC which used to be the world leader in accurate and balanced news reporting.

Afterall, Why would the modern media networks report on the peaceful protest of a couple of hundred thousand when down the road there are a few thousand people going head to head with the military. They know as well as we do which makes for the more interesting(?) video footage.

What is perhaps more disturbing is the single umbrella with which all of these middle eastern country’s regimes seem to be being grouped under when in reality, there are vast differences in the governing bodies of say Bahrain and Libya, even between Libya and Iran.

It is reporting by soundbite, something which our own government here in the UK has succumbed to and it makes my piles itch!!! ;)

JCCJCC
    Participant

@LAK

I’m sorry to insist, but how did your prime minister get in the same position for 40 years? Was he elected directly or indirectly by the people? Because, as far as I could read, he wasn’t elected, he was appointed by the king. Isn’t it legitimate that some people want to change that system?

And I don’t know how it works in the middle east and Bahrain specifically, but in most western nations 99.9% of the politicians don’t serve the people, they just serve themselves, and they don’t have dedication to his work in order to help people, they only have dedication for his salary and for the power they have.

So, according to what you say, I can find one of two conclusions:

1 – You’re been very very naive

2 – You got one of the 0.1% of honest politicians appointed as prime minister, in this case I envy you.

By the way, how people in Bahrain feel in general about the F1 Grand Prix? They feel it as a national event? Or they believe it’s a very expensive thing with few return? because I don’t know the exact figures, but the track construction usually costs around 500 million , and Bahrain pays around 60 millions a year to have the first race. How do you and your fellow country mates feel about this expenses?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.